#758 – Manufacturing Day honors state’s legacy, looks ahead to bright futurePosted on | The Agurban
Manufacturing Day 2019 was the first week of October. The state of Michigan held “Manufacturing Week.” Below are excerpts from a post from the Michigan Economic Development Corporation.
Manufacturing Day honors state’s legacy, looks ahead to bright future
Manufacturing Day takes on special significance in Michigan, a legendary global manufacturing leader that is redefining the potential of advance manufacturing. In the last five years, the state has been in the forefront of job creation and training investment.
“Michigan is home to the greatest workforce in the nation, and these men and women continue to push the boundaries of manufacturing excellence,” Gov. Gretchen Whitmer said in a press release. “Simply put, no other state has the manufacturing talent and knowhow that Michigan does, and this is highlighted by the fact that manufacturing companies are making historic investments to build their products in our state.”
Key manufacturing-related statistics for the state include:
- Michigan is home to a diverse manufacturing sector that includes transportation, machinery, alternative energy, food and beverage, computer and electrical products, furniture, bioscience, chemical, defense-related manufacturing, and many others.
- Manufacturing represents one-fifth of Michigan’s gross state product, according to Bureau of Economic Analysis.
- 635,500 men and women are directly employed in the manufacturing industry, according to the Bureau of Labor Statics.
- More than 11,386 unique manufacturing firms populate the Great Lakes State, according to the National Association of Manufacturing, and Michigan’s manufacturing total output exceeds $98.64 billion annually.
- Michigan has created more than 185,200 new manufacturing jobs in the last nine years – an increase of 42.8 percent – remaining the national leader in manufacturing job creation and outpacing all other states, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
There were nearly 200 Manufacturing Day events planned in Michigan for 2019.